7.24.2010

california 2010 Day 7

I awakened to the sound of a small dog trying to claw it's way into our bedroom. Time to get up.

Forgetting about the high concentrations of "stuff" in my sister's well water, I washed the windows of her Tahoe, but let them air-dry. Soon, I found the windows in worse condition than they were when they were dirty. Great.

Wanting to have lunch with Becky's niece and nephew at Hume Lake Christian Camp (where he works), we departed and took the most direct route (which we've done several times before). Highway 245 winds it's way through the foothills to where it joins Hwy 180 just a few miles below the entrance to Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. Hwy 245 is 30 miles of corners. Bad move. Becky didn't feel well so I had to take it slower than I ever had. IF YOU have a bumper sticker that says "I Survived The Road To Hana" (Maui), then you need to step up to the 245. The road to Hana has nothing on this road.

We arrived a little late and found them and their kids in the camper's dining area. After lunch we mosied on over to their house for a cappuccino. Because of the size of their family, they were upgraded to a wonderful house on the creek, right below the Zipline!










After a good visit, we headed for the deeper hills. One of the major attractions in this area are the Big Trees. We didn't stop in Grant Grove, otherwise I'd have a pic of the General Grant tree (sequoia gigantea). This tree is 32 feet across at the base (diameter, NOT circumference). We managed to find a good specimen in the Boulder Creek Grove that posed long enough for us to get a few good pics.









Boulder Creek is a special spot for me. I've shed many a tear at Boulder Creek. I must've been all of ten or so when my dad took me there. Fishing rods in hand, he found a pool behind this huge rock where he kept hooking fish. I was too small and unable to get to the hotspot. "Brucie! I caught another one!" I burst into tears and bawled while he laughed and caught another one. Nine to be exact. I (somehow) managed to catch one.

Today, the water felt great. Very refreshing. The scenery was beautiful. What a great day!









2 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger rae ann said...

beautiful pics! someone should tell mom that that tree doesn't need her to hold it up though. also, that triple stroller makes me shudder. two is good for us.

i've never heard your fish story before! that's horrible! although, i did laugh while i was reading it. sorry, dad.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Chester McLaughlin said...

Thanks for stopping by and sharing the pics! It was great to see you guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home