4.13.2008

Life is a Potpouri

We have always had an aquarium in our house. Our first one was next to our bed in our first home together, a single bedroom apartment. We housed "Perry" the piranha. Bruce worked graveyard and would feed Perry live goldfish as he left the apartment each night. Perry feasted well into the nights, often waking me up with his crunching the little orange tasty bites. Perry has since left our lives and we have moved onto many other aquatic friends. Of late we have purchased and enjoyed the many colors of discus. The big ol' girl in the middle is the last left of the three we originally had. She used to pick on one runt quite ferociously but now there are so many others that she doesn't know what to do. I can call her "she" confidently because she lays eggs just about every time I clean the tank. Hopefully she will find a mate in this bunch of young ins.


The greenhouse is bulging with growth. These pictures were taken a couple weeks ago.





I now digress...

We had dinner with Robin and Nate where they announced that we will, once again, be grandparents. I thought my husband was just being sweet in wanting to cook me a romantic meal when Robin bounced into the house, and a pre-planned, although, unbeknownst, to me (is that a word?) celebratory dinner ensued.
By the way that is not an alcoholic beverage in her hand, she indulged with sparkling cider.

I am now utilizing both green houses because I have had to re-pot to bigger pots that take up more room.




A mere bunny trail...

Susan and Karina came up from CA for four days of pure unadulterated scrap booking. It was a cutting, gluing, creative frenzy.

This weekend we installed bathroom vents in each green house to move out the 120 degree heat since the sun is coming out more. The outside soil is probably within a week and a half of tilling so the end is in sight. I am interested to see if germinating so early is going to cause some twist in the productivity of the plants. So far the plants themselves look really healthy. I had to take great care in replanting into bigger pots because the base of the stem on some plants are very fragile.




I noticed that some creature liked the tomato plants when they were quite small...slugs and snails were the culprits. So far the "organic" slug bait isn't working, so I turn to my trusty friend the salt shaker and hunt after dark.


And now a parting shot...

1 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger dutchlvr said...

Hah! What a fun post! So random and informative! I stole one of your green house pictures...They're all pretty :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home