3.10.2008

Mountain Flying

When I have not flown in awhile I get a hankering to get up and fly around Mt. Hood (over 11,000 ft. elevation) and back, especially when it has gotten a fresh blanket of snow. So I piloted and Bruce took the pictures. Our friend John flew his plane with us.


I have been told that my grandmother, Martha and my grandfather, Chester packed their buckboard in the late 1800's and journeyed from Milwaukie to Government Camp (on the south side) with their friends and camped.

In all the trip took 2 weeks. Our trip took an hour.

This is the west side.


We were flying at 9,500 ft. and 6 to 7 miles away from the mountain on the north side.


Often times one needs to worry about flying around a mountain if it is windy at all. This day was calm with just a few bumps on the backside as the wind became an downdraft.


I also know that Martha never traveled in an airplane of any kind in her 100 years of life because she was afraid of flying in them. She did not trust that something man-made could carry one so high and not break.

This is the east side.


All in all, it was a great flight. Some clouds, blue skies and a view that leaves one speechless. This one was for you Grandma Mac!

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger GrannyNanny said...

Gorgeous... wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home